Monday 17 June 2019

Character design

 Character Design Process

The first part about creating a character is having a concept, for an example I wanted to created a siren for one of my comics. You could also create characters using prompts or you could creat olls wear people could vote on what character you make, these are solution I sometimes use if I dont have any ideas for characters.

Once I have an idea I have to decide what kind of character they are going to be:
 Age: 25
Gender: Boy or Girl
Species: Human or Creature
Skin colour: Dark or Light
Height: Tall or Short
Personality: Good or Evil
Hair: Natural or Dyed

Concepts for the character
More concepts


Final design sketch
To create my characters I use a sketchbook and just start sketch and writing down concepts for the character, I write down the main themes of the character on the top of the page to help me remember. Most of my sketches are done in pen s that is what I am most comfortable with, first I like to design the face, what kind of face shape they have and what there eyes look like. Then I like to design the hair, after the face and hair is designed I like to draw small fully body sketches to see what the rest of the character looks like and what there clothes might be. For the clothes I love them to refect the personality of the character and since this character was going to be evil I thought a leather jacket would show that.

While doing the concept sketches I look up reference pictures to help me draw some of the aspects of the character:
Image result for Siren character design 
Image result for leather jacket
( I didnt use many refs this time )


Once I have the final concept I digitally draw it in the program Clip Studio Paint, first I draw the sketch, which is the basic layout for the pose and I usally draw the basic sketch very small and inlarge it, I do this so I dont get restricted by the endges of the canvas.

Once the sketch is finshed and inlarged I create another layer and draw over the sketch to create an ink effect, doing this smooths out the rough lines and makes things alot cleaner.

After the inking is finished I erase the sketch and use the layer it was on for the colour, I choos the colours for the characters all in my head but if something doesent look the way I wanted to I can always change it.

Finally when the flat colours are all added I added graidents and highlights wear need and turn the ink layer into a muiltply layer to make every look better, last I add a small background.
Sketch

Ink

Full Colour








No comments:

Post a Comment